When the end is only the beginning…
Goodness, this one was a long time coming. But I finally finished. Finally.lets call this photo “artsy” instead of blurry.This project was an ever constant source of both pride and annoyance in my life for a long 4 months. When I started her, I joked about how she was this hot affair that I could not put down – an affair that I was sneaking in to meetings and squeezing into quick moments in the corner and between social engagements. Well, the scandalous affair is over. We’ve made it official (but not Facebook official. I don’t need my former high school classmates and distant family thinking differently of me).I’m officially in love with this sweater. And it’s real love. The kind of love that you curl up with on a cold fall evening. The kind of love that you enjoy showing off and bragging about to your best friends. The kind of love that doesn’t care if you’re wearing your holiday best or making a run to the pharmacy without a bra on. The kind of love that survives it’s turmoils and frustrations, only to come out better on the other side. In 50 years, I’ll invite you to the anniversary party.What I like:
- The color. There were a few weeks where I hated it (I’d been looking at it long enough), but I just cannot go wrong with green.
- The cost. I used some Patons Classic Merino – 6 balls at 5 bucks each makes this a nice, huge affordable piece of knitting.
- The drape and usefulness. A few weeks ago, I bought an open cardigan from Target to throw on when I’m chilled or running outside for a quick bit. Now, I reach for the cardigan I made.
- The addition of the buttons. So I can close it if I want to.
- That my knitting group loved it. And I may have even inspired someone else to knit one. That’s always the test in my book. Usually, I’m the one following someone.
What I don’t like:
- The errata. So confusing.
- The spacing of the sleeve holes. They’re too far apart in my book. And I don’t think I’m the only one who experienced this, you can see similar on other ravelry projects. Here’s a photo to illustrate. The back is just too wide
- I don’t like the way that people don’t believe I actually knit it (kidding).
- I don’t like the sleeve caps. I ended up cutting mine short (I only short rowed 2/3 the stitches) but placing them were written.
- I also had issues with the way that the seed stitch triangles were on the front of the sleeve. I ended up decreasing my front triangles at a rate 1.5 times faster than the triangle on the back side.
Lots of technical stuff and tips after the jump, including more on the buttons (in case you too want true love):
- I think Angela (designer) has the first part of of the zig zag chart worked as ribbing the first bit. I didn’t do this and it turned out just fine/perfectly nice.
- The zig zag charts have the seed stitch part up against the double braided chart. If you reverse them so that you have reverse stockinette stitch closest to the braid, you’ll be able to use reverse ss instead of seed stitch on the infamous seed stitch arm triangles. Which may or may not be a nice change.
- The errata is really, really confusing. In terms of the charts. Just work them so that row 6 of the double braided chart with be worked in the same row as Row 13 (or 1) of the zig zag charts and row 6 of the huge reversible cable. I didn’t really follow the rest of the errata because I didn’t really follow the rest of the pattern because the sparse instructions had me more or less flying solo anyway.
- Block this big. You won’t regret it.
- How I did my sleeves: I did the short rows as written until I was working into the bottom/underside double braided chart and then I just went right to working the piece in the round. My decreases went like this: First decrease round (only front), next decrease round (1 in the back, 1 in the front), – and repeated until I had 4 (ish. could be 3, could be 5) sts left on the front seed stitch triangle. Then I worked 1 in front, 1 in back until the front triangle was completely gone and then I worked the double decreases only in the back until that triangle was completely gone.
- I shortened the sleeves. No particular reason other than that was the length of the Target sweater referenced above.
- I added buttons on the inside of the right front. You can see them in the photo below. You can see where/how I button the first button in this photo. The second button goes into a similar hole, also created where the large cable crosses, but further across the front.